Sunday, July 21, 2019

Raven's Home Reviewed: Dress to Express (S3E5)

I'm too drunk rn I can't remember a good quote from this episode so I'll just post what IMDb says:

Booker and Levi find themselves on opposite sides of the Carver School dress code(that doesn't happen), while Nia and Tess clash over the authenticity of each other's recent fashion choices (that doesn't happen, either).

What is it? ...blah blah blah I think we all pretty much know Raven's Home at this point too.

...S3 has been improving but man was this a pretty bad episode, sorry. And when I looked it up on IMDb to confirm its production code I'm like...9.3/10? Are you guys high?

Not that it was...bad bad. But it wasn't good either.

This episode suffered from what I'm going to call Girl Meets World Syndrome (did I use that already? For like back in S2 of Andi Mack? Probably....) It's a bunch of tropes and After School Special Messages that frankly every kid knows by now because every grown-up has been pounding it into their heads nonstop thrown together into an episode. And to make it worse we have 24 minutes divided into three subplots.

So about what this episode actually is about. Yeah none of what IMDb says happens. Levi is filming a documentary about what Booker, Nia and Tess do - Booker is arguing with Raven on how to dress, Nia is arguing with some dude running the Earth club over Earth-shaming, and Tess is...doing some cotillion thing? That the Principal is running?

What the actual fuck?

Anyway each of these subplots resolves themselves in predictable cliche garbage, end of story, end of review, I'm done here. Nothing to see here folks.

9.3/10 on IMDb what the actual fuck folks?

Episode Grade: A big fat F. I was all set to give it a D- or even something in C range but the more I think about it the more I realize just how much garbage this episode is. Nothing of true consequence happens and unlike say A Moving Day on Andi Mack I do feel the audience basically had their time wasted.
Episode LVP: Levi for this stupid documentary framing device.

Extra Thoughts

 - National Ice Cream Day must be huge because you get two posts! I guess go out and enjoy BoGo from Ben & Jerry's too, or something.

 - Speaking as someone deeply involved in the education world Principal Kwan is fucking insane and needs to be fired tout suite, I fucking mean it. Speaking as a (somewhat) rational viewer/reviewer of a Disney Channel multi-cam KidCom...Principal Kwan is still fucking insane. There's no good plot explanation as to this whole cotillion-in-a-public-middle-school plot other than the writers just threw it in because, well, what the fuck.


 - and a more tragic and depressing note: I've talked about the role and nature of production companies and the production company cards you see at the end of shows, way back when on a post about Raven's Home S2. You've no doubt noticed the new It's A Laugh card (not sure if I like such dominating whitespace but oh well) and for a new company, Funny Boone Productions. Funny Boone Productions is named after the woman depicted on that card - Eunice Boone who was slated to helm S3 of Raven's Home and has a pretty impressive resume of TV show and movie production behind her - but tragically died of a heart attack, as I understand, before S3 actually began production, and her face being the literal face of the production card is the show's tribute to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow I can configure the title for "Featured Post"

Let's talk about The Loud House tonight.

  You can either die and be "Making Fiends," or live long enough to see yourself become "SpongeBob." There are times whe...

Wow I can put a title here for "Popular Posts"